Monday, January 02, 2006

Verizon Wireless Takes Music On the Go

Next month Verizon Wireless plans to compete with the rest of the mobile music foray by delivering their own helping of over-the-air music downloading on select phones. Here's a clip from C|Net News.com:

The new service, called V Cast Music, is scheduled to become available on Jan. 16 at Circuit City, Verizon Wireless stores and Verizon's Web site, according to documents seen by CNET News.com. It would allow customers to browse, preview, download and play music from a mobile handset and a computer.

I haven't seen Motorola's ROKR phone make any big statements in my sleepy town of San Antonio, but that's not to say there's definitely a market for this type of technology. You just have to know how to deliver it. I think Verizon Wireless has got the methodology right but what's going to be crucial is the pricing and the online library available to consumers. The form-factor and UI of the phones offering the V Cast Music service will also be key to widespread consumer adoption. Personally though, I'm quite content transferring my own favorite music to my phone's MMC card via bluetooth and have no problem waiting until I'm in front of a PC (at work or home)!

0 comments: